Monday, August 3, 2009

It All Started With a Microwave

So, Jake and I had been married for a solid 10 months, and we decided it was about time for a Microwave. Yes, we have survived without one for that long. How? I honestly don't know. What were we thinking??? We weren't. Anyway, we surfed the internet for prices, commentary, etc. Of-course, the lowest-prices caught our eye, but the reviews never seemed to satisfy. We finally went looking at Bed Bath (we still have wedding money there), but didn't see any under around 90 (barf). Then headed to Low's that was close by: there was one for 70 that looked okay. But could cheep-skate Jacob and Becca make such a purchase? Of course not:) We left empty-handed. Next door stood a Pet's Mart. "Jacob," I pleaded, "can we just go there and look at the animals so I don't feel so depressed about money?" --"Of-course."
First we looked at the cats. Most were grown (yuck), but still so cute. Then we headed over to the hamster section. BIG mistake. You know why? Because it left me even more depressed about money - because after watching the cute little runts and playing with them a little, I WANTED ONE!!! I wanted a pet! But after adding the cage, and the bottle, and the bedding, and the food, and the wheel to the mix, it would have been seriously foolish to spend our money on completely unnecessary things. With the microwave, we had some logical reasoning: saves time and dishes, etc. But a hamster? -bc. I need the emotional support? Yeah no.
But I"m not gonna lie, I really wanted the darn thing. So when we got home, cute Jacob jumped on Craig's List and KSL (best sites created) and don't worry, "Free female dwarf hamster along with cage, wheel, food, and bedding" popped up. So, we got a hamster. The girl just got a dog, and didn't want a pet overload. So we got her, so cute and little and white and free free free! I love that word.
We picked it up right after Jacob's intramural Softball/Frisbee game. It was pretty hilarious. We just looked at each other and said "Are we seriously getting a hamster?" haha

Here's the cool thing about all of this: My visiting teacher and her hub stopped by Kara's (chocolate store where I occasionally work). I recounted the story to them. They asked, "Wait, do you still need a microwave?"
-yes
"We have one, our neighbors moved out and they left there's telling us to just tell the next tennents to take it."
hooray!
After work I met them at our apt. with the microwave, the FREE microwave, and we all enjoyed some left-over choc covered strawberries. Yum.

So how cool is that, right? We needed a microwave, wanted a hamster---- all to become discouraged about $ and how everything costs $, all to get both for zero dollars!!! I love our life:)

Her are some pictures of her: Name: Minnie Mouse, but mostly just Mouse. Sex: Female. Type: dwarf hamster.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

You are so hilarious. I can't believe that you didn't have a microwave. Dan and I have a cat and two kittens that you would love they are still so tiny. We have to get rid of them soon because we are moving to a different apt. I remember when you had a hamster when we were younger in your bathroom..ha ha. Love ya and Miss ya.

Andrea said...

Ya, I couldn't believe that you got a hamster either. I had to come over (leaving ryan sleeping on the couch) and see if it was really true. I guess it was!! Love that you are updating more!!!

Jen Olson Brown said...

Becca- I love you! I miss you that you are not a hallway away (like childhood but I am happy you are clocks away from reading your latest adventure! Minnie is so cute and probably the luckiest little runt in the world! Such love. You guys must be paying your tithing. It somehow all works out doesn't it. Congratulations on your addition! Animals DO have spirits, and they add so much to a home!!

Amie said...

Hey Becca!
It's Amie Waters...I just randomly started a blog today and I just came across yours...so exciting!
How cool that you got a hamster! Like Michelle, I totally remember your hamster from back in the day! It was seriously the longest living hamster I've ever met. How fun that you and Jacob can have one now together. And that you have a smart husband that was able to find one for free!