Sunday, September 12, 2010

Home Improvement

Here are some things I have done to keep myself busy/beautify our home while Jacob is off learning (so overrated) and I am.... home.

1) Baseboards: Yucky totally trashed/dinged up brown ------> Pretty white
1. Clean
2.Tape
3. Caulk... NOT I totally skipped this step, oops!
4. Primer (2 coats)
5. Paint (2 coates)
6. Untape
7. Retape because the paint was ugly
8. Paint attempt #2, just one coat
9. Untape



AFTER


2) What to do with all this extra white paint???
I know, make super cute stripes on the boring yellow cream kitchen wall.


Taped and painted

Stripes!



3) Is that gold in the chandelier? EW! Get it off!

BEFORE

AFTER
You must be thinking, 'Wow, how did Becca get this fixture off and spray paint something electrical without breaking it?' Well, I did break it. The light no longer works. Jacob is not so fond of my home improvements anymore...


4) Beautiful french antique dresser!
We despise Craigslist (craigslist = people selling junk for too much $). However, we love it for giving us our washer/dryer, kitchen table, and this sucker! $50 was more of a splurge to us... but I just couldn't say no to this.

What do you think? Should I paint it one day? I'm sort of liking it all distressed an old as it is...


5) So... here's the deal. I put up/made these 2 white floatingish shelves... but I'm not sure about the turnout. So if I decide I like them, maybe I'll post a picture.

There have been a few people asking for an update on the belly: Well these were taken YESTERDAY! So no more whining!



This (i.e. home improvement) really is an ongoing process. The main "ongoing" portion involves wall hangings. The problem is, I don't have what I want! I have great frames and all that. But I don't like them right now. I have a feeling our walls will be bare for a long time...

4 comments:

The Gertsch's said...

becca!!!!!!!!!!! can i just say, you are totally nesting!! ha ha and I LOVE all your projects. your home is darling. soo soo soo cute!!!! i love the stripes! I want/am going to do bigger stripes on our wall, so it's an accent wall! but jeff just says, "less is more"! whatever that means! I say stripes! but soo cute becca...and I miss you guys a lot!! OH! and the belly?? could you be any cutier with that??????? love it! Gosh miss all our talks and such, hope alll is well!!!

Unknown said...

Cute kitchen walls! I love it! And super cute belly! And don't worry, my walls are still bare in my apartment too... and I'm not allowed to paint!

Rachel said...

OMG Becs!!!!! Soooo cute! Can you come and paint my house????? You did a fabulous job! It looks great!

Ps. I LOVE your belly! :)

Jen Olson Brown said...

1. Beautiful baseboard/woodwork job! It looks beautiful!
2. Awesome stripes! It looks so cozy and decorated! It really looks professional! (I'm so proud!)
3. Well, not everything works.
4. Leave the dresser as it is! It is gorgeous! Natural weather is always the best and I love the golden lining!
5. Love the belly shot! Can't believe it is really happening! You look great!